Saturday, August 08, 2009

There's a Story Behind This Dress...

While wandering around the mall two weeks ago, I came across a dress that I loved not only for the way it looked but for the way it fit. The fact that I actually wanted to purchase it was a exceptional because I infrequently buy formal clothing; I have very little need for dress pants, skirts or dresses. (Far in the future, after I get my degree, I'd like to make a trip to Brooks Brothers, though.) Anyway, the dress ended up being a little pricey and I restrained myself from buying it at that moment.

Later in the evening, I was on the store's website and found that the same dress was much cheaper online; I decided to go ahead and buy it. Aside from the protective cover that I ordered for my iPod a few months ago, this was the first thing I had purchased online the whole year. The order was placed quickly and I received a confirmation e-mail almost immediately. This e-mail had a link through which I could track the package. When I checked the link the following morning, it indicated that the package would arrive around Monday, August 3rd. Hooray.

Well, Monday the 3rd eventually arrived, and I didn't receive the package that day. This really didn't concern me at the time. However, when my dress didn't arrive the next day, I got a little frustrated. I checked the tracking link that evening (Tuesday night) only to discover that, apparently, the package had been delivered on the previous Friday around noon. WTF? There was definitely not a package at my apartment on Friday; in fact, I was at my residence shortly after the supposed arrival of the package. I was thoroughly confused. Thus began this ridiculous FedEx debacle that I've been dealing with for days. Here's what has happened:
  1. When I learned that the dress had been delivered last Friday, I tried to get a delivery confirmation. The FedEx website told me that I couldn't get one on account of the type of shipping. Huh? At this point, I was really pissed off (ask my roommate), so I went to bed.

  2. On Wednesday, I went back online to the FedEx website to submit a claim. In order to do so, I had to register on FedEx.com, which was a magnificent waste of time. The claim process took at least half an hour, as I had to gather all the information about the manufacturer, the cost of the dress, the shipping costs, etc., etc. Wonderful. The final part of the online claims process involved attaching the following supporting documents: the order confirmation e-mail from The Limited (company from which I ordered the dress), the tracking and shipping information from FedEx, and the claim confirmation. All of these had to be submitted before FedEx would even review the claim. Before I could attach the documents, the website logged me out because I had been idle for an entire three minutes or so. Fuck. At this point I was about to toss my Dell across the room, so I gave it up again for the day.

  3. Thursday arrived. I had cooled down enough by that point to try the whole claims process one more time. When I logged into FedEx.com and found what I was looking for, I lost my patience rather quickly--it turned out that I had to resubmit all the information that I typed in the day before. I proceeded to do so, being extremely annoyed in the process. When I had finished and was yet again at the 'Attach Supporting Documents' stage, FedEx.com informed me that it had already received a claim under that tracking number. Grrrrrrr. I managed to somehow make it to the correct place on the website at which I could finally attach the docs. I needed only to input the tracking number and the shipping date, and the website would supposedly pull up the claim that I had submitted on the previous day. The tracking number was entered. The shipping date was entered. FedEx.com did not like this information, as it informed me that the entered tracking number was invalid. At this point, I decided that FedEx.com was about as useful as an able-bodied 20-year-old welfare recipient from Greasy Creek.

  4. I called FedEx hoping to speak with someone with an IQ at least in the double digits who could inform me of what I needed to do to remedy the situation. The friendly lady on the phone asked for my first and last name along with the tracking number for the shipment. She told me that, because of the tracking number, there was nothing she could do for me; apparently, my type of shipment was dealt with through a separate entity of FedEx. "You need to call the FedEx SmartPost hotline," she said in her best sorority girl voice. I thanked her and ended the conversation despite my urge to unleash a violent string of obscenities upon her. After all, it wasn't her fault that FedEx was ruining my day.

  5. I called the SmartPost hotline. Due to the high volume of customer calls (I can't possibly imagine why this would have been the case), I was unable to speak with anyone. I didn't even get the luxury of being able to listen to craptastic muzak while waiting to converse with (or yell at) an employee. Moreover, unless I pressed certain buttons on my phone while waiting, I would be automatically disconnected from the call. This happened four times. Unbelievable, right? It didn't stop there.

  6. I sent a rather opinionated and lengthy (yet tame) e-mail to The Limited on Thursday evening informing them of everything that had happened since the dress order was placed. Friday rolled around and I received an e-mail back from the company. I was naive to think that putting time and effort into fully explaining the situation would earn me anything other than an unhelpful and aggravating cookie cutter response, which is exactly what I received. The e-mail informed me that I would have to deal with the issue at my local post office.
I did nothing about this matter today; I found it better for my peace of mind to devote my time to activities that, upon their completion, would actually result in some sort of evident benefit. I've cleaned, done several loads of laundry, and studied Latin and Greek at Starbucks. Yesterday, while walking by a boutique, I spotted a dress that really caught my eye primarily because of its design and bold colors. It was unlike anything I'd ever owned. I tried it on; surprisingly, I liked it even more than the one that I had been so eagerly expecting to arrive at my doorstep. I decided to buy this colorful dress and, as is evident from the above picture, I've already gotten some usage out of it. What a funny thing: I would have never considered buying this new dress if FedEx had delivered a certain package like it was supposed to do. I'll get more usage out of this new one, and I positively love it. I suppose good things can indeed come out of frustrating situations.

In other news, I've found an LSAT study partner. He's very intelligent and diligent, among other things. Although I usually prefer to study solo, I enjoy to occasionally have someone within close proximity who can offer not only motivation but good company; this makes the process of studying a little easier to bear. I certainly have enough work to do during the next two weeks before classes begin. It helps that I've been able to go to my coffee shops this week without being so uncomfortable that I have the urge to run out the door or vomit. With the exception of the dress debacle, this is the best week that I've had in quite awhile. I hope it stays that way.

On the off chance that my package was stolen from my doorstep, I have a message for the ladies of Saddlebrook: good luck fitting your asses in a size 0. Thanks.

No comments: