Thursday, January 12, 2006

Good News + Rants & Raves

Hello, loyal readers! I know I've gone 3 days (gasp!) without updating! My apologies, but I've been a little busy. Classes started yesterday, and I have a pretty decent first impression of all of them. The semester itself will by no means be easy, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I was in a great mood yesterday--that never happens. I know why I was in a good mood, but I'm not at liberty to disclose that information on the internet. Hehe. Anyway, my teachers seem to be easing into the workload slowly, which I really appreciate. It makes the transition from sitting on my ass to getting my ass kicked by class a little less stressful. Next week will probably be the first real test as to how I'm going to handle the classwork during an average week.

As always, I've been pondering some random things--What can I say, I'm a general intellectual. I should explain this rather vague label so that I don't sound cocky. While I was in high school, my mom randomly received a letter from my school in the mail. It was apparently some kind of skill/talent assessment with comments from a variety of teachers whom I'd taken class under. The high school's conclusion? I was a general intellectual. What does that mean? It's so ambiguous and shady. Was the school simply trying to assure my mom that I wasn't a total inept? I still get a kick out of it. Anyway, the random thoughts:

  1. For some reason, I think 98% of things are cute, including: old couples (they are adorable) and older people in general, shitty cars, funny clothing styles (esp. the professors who rock the cardigans and sweater vests), "nerdy" people and their fascinations with whatever, any example of OCD behavior (I say "Awwww..." about 4384385 times when I watch a single episode of Monk), and guys' general obsession with sports (to an extent, of course).
  2. Stupid Lexington People Alert: Apparently, not only are a lot of Lexington inhabitants terrible drivers (see previous post), but they are terrible pedestrians, too! I was out and about this afternoon driving around campus to turn in a scholarship application and I noticed some pretty bad pedestrian tendencies, the first being jaywalking. I don't have much room to complain about this, because I do it all the time on campus. But the jaywalking I saw today while driving was far different from the actual campus environment where the power of the group, so to speak, would allow students to jaywalk and force a car to stop for them. No car is going to hit a group of 10 students walking together. But the guy I saw today was jaywalking across a regularly busy street (Euclid) at about the time rush hour traffic was growing. I've also seen people casually jaywalk across Nicholasville during broad daylight. Someone explain this.
  3. Speaking of roads, Farm Road. Drive it! It's fun as hell. It's right off Nicholasville near campus. Get to it by taking one of the first rights after passing Alumni if you're driving in the direction of Limestone. I won't give away the fun part of it....... Okay, speed bumps. Big speed bumps. Big speed bumps on a straight road with little or no traffic.
  4. One last driving rant: while I was driving down Rose Street today right in front of the Chem-Phys building, there were of course the usual masses of students crossing the street. A few of them pretty much walked in front of my car without even looking--not a glance. One girl was on her cell phone, and I suppose the call was more important (she didn't even give me "the wave" when I let her cross, the hoe). Those students were safe only because I pay attention when I drive. Unfortunately, the next guy driving down Rose with his body half out the window, hollerin' at the college chick wearing the ass skirt/Ugg boot combination may not notice the student who's just started walking across the street. Pedestrians should be very cautious; they can never just assume that drivers are always attentive and aware.
  5. My left eyelid is still twitching. What the hell. I'm going to call an optometrist or something this weekend if it doesn't quit soon. It's driving me absolutely insane.
  6. Myself and my fellow students played the damn name game tonight in my HIS 240 class as part of "getting to know one another." Well, if any of you have never played this game (I hadn't until this evening), it works as follows: one student (usually the student in the front seat on the far left or right side of the room) starts by saying his or her name. The student directly behind that student says the person's name in front of him/her, then says his/her own name. It works like this until each student gets a turn. I ended up being the second to last student to take my turn, meaning I had to say about 25 names. Blah.

Enough randomness for one evening. I've gotta go do some homework. I'll probably update sometime this weekend.

1 comment:

Oracle316 said...

Reading glasses will stop the eyes from twitching. It's caused by fatigue. I used to get it a lot when I worked at a desk job where I was constantly chained to a computer. You may also want to change your computer screen so that it refreshes itself frequently.