Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Indescribable Boredom

The picture on the left (my attempt to make an emo picture, thwarted by my inability to keep a straight face) kind of exemplifies my recent ridiculous degree of boredom. Since the craziness of the Christmas shopping season has died down, I've really been left with absolutely nothing to do. Not that that's a terrible thing, as I really needed to take a break from class and get a chance to relax and be a lazy ass. But at this point, I can nearly say that I'm ready to get back into the groove of classes so that I can at least feel somewhat productive. Most of my friends are either in the bustling metropolis that is Pikeville or have decided to be cool and go to a completely different continent (thanks Nick). So it's just myself and my apartment. What have I done with my free time?
  1. I cleaned my living room and kitchen at least five times each.
  2. I cancelled both my MySpace and my Xuqa accounts. Why? First, they were both distractions that I signed up for only as a result of the same utter boredom that I'm experiencing now. Secondly, they were distractions that I sure as hell won't need next semester. It's actually pretty funny, because if you cancel your MySpace account, you're asked to write the reason as for your cancellation in a comment box. Normally, I would have kept it short and sweet with something such as "It was f'n terrible," or "It's a playground for pedophiles and guys who suck at getting laid," but, given my boredom, I really took my time to explain why I wanted to get rid of it. Reasons included: (1) Visually-challenged members who thought it would be awesome to make their font colors and backgrounds blend in so that reading anything on their pages is nearly impossible. It reminded me of Where's Waldo?: Where Are the Damn Words on This Page? Find them and reward yourself by proceeding to the next member's eye-straining page! (2) The aforementioned guys who can't get laid or who think they are entitled only to college or high school girls. "Damn, ur beautiful. U got a man?" Nope, but considering you're 35 and have two children, you probably shouldn't be asking me that. (3) The ridiculous amount of shit that people uploaded to their pages--pictures, animated graphics, audio clips, etc., etc. First of all, my computer couldn't handle it. Second of all, I couldn't handle it, as I didn't know what to concentrate on first--the animated, glittery "DIVA" graphic on one side? The huge (and often lewd) background picture? The horrid, loud emo music that I want to stop ASAP? I think I know how it feels to be ADD. Anyway, MySpace is in some serious need of restructuring.
  3. I finished reading The Magician's Newphew and began reading Prince Caspian. I've read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe too many times to read it again, plus I just saw the movie recently. The Magician's Nephew was pretty decent, and it also sheds some light on the causes of events in the proceeding books. For instance, readers discover why humans (and only humans) are capable of ridding Narnia of the White Witch. You also figure out why the wardrobe is a portal into Narnia--it's rather complicated actually. I don't want to give the answers away, so read it yourself! It's worthwhile.
  4. I finished watching all the sixth season episodes of South Park on DVD. They are absolutely hilarious. I love the show not only for the comedy but for its ability to exemplify both extreme (and equally ridiculous) sides of political or social issues in certain episodes. Red Hot Catholic Love was a good example. The Catholic Church's less-than-stellar handling of the child molestation issue was evident in the Catholic assembly's staunch refusal to alter the Holy Document of Vatican Law to allow priests to marry. All the priests also thought the way to remedy the situation was simply to find a way to prevent the accusations from molested children from coming out into the public in the first place. Simultaneously, though, South Park fans could see the equally condemnable actions of the South Park adults, who decided on the spur of the moment to all be atheists. "Let's kill God!" (This idea was suggested by one of the adults at the pinnacle of their discussion regarding their disgust with the Catholic church.) Kenny's father had a valid point, which the other parents disregarded fully: "Just because some priests molest children doesn't mean all of them do." Funny shit.

Well folks, I hope to have something of some actual substance here soon to discuss. Hopefully this will occur next week when things have picked up the pace again.

1 comment:

Nick said...

JEEZ SORRY!!! I told you, I wish you could be here! It's not my fault!

:p

Anyway, laff out loud. Your comments on myspace are very eloquent.