Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Last Supper

Well, no, it's not really as dramatic as it sounds (remember, this isn't emo), I was just looking for an excuse to post this painting. This is, however, my last night of total relaxation before I've gotta start preparing for class. How do I feel? Well, it's been a different feeling (apprehension, nervousness, excitement... pissed) every hour, but generally I think I'm more than ready to start again. I've had a substantial amount of sleep the past two weeks, enough so that I could probably pull an all-nighter or two in the coming week and be fine. I'll try to avoid that at all costs, though. I mean, I never pull all-nighters, isn't that right my loyal readers? Anyway, I've had enough free time to do all those things mentioned in my previous post and a bunch of other minute things. I have a tendency to ponder a bunch of completely random topics when I'm bored. I know you'd like nothing better than to hear them, so:

  1. If I do become a professor, I'm definitely gonna attempt to start a fashion revolution for my fellow female professors at my university. No more mismatched colors, ill-fitting pants and tops, weird-lookin' frocks, (I'm rhymin' beotch) and terrible looking clothes in general. Okay, so they may not want to carry "fashionable" Coach or Louis Vuitton purses (neither do I: who wants one of those ugly as hell, elitist, overpriced things anyway?), but I don't think it would be too detrimental to their bank account to buy clothes that look nice on them. It actually is possible for women to be intelligent, attractive, and fashionable at the same time. Ugg boots for all! Totally joking, Ugg boots represent all that is wrong and evil in the fashion realm. Then again, I guess some people just don't really care at all about fashion, and I can really respect that. As for the male professors, the majority should just keep rockin' the sweater vests and cardigans and random brands of t-shirts, it's kind of cute!
  2. This one's pretty nerdy--Is my major easy, and should I be taking more challenging classes? After a lot of consideration, my answer to both is no. In the matter of the relative difficulty of majors offered at UK, I think many would agree with me that certain majors are much more intense than others. At the same time, though, I think the matter of individuals' inclinations is extremely relevant in this debate. I believe myself to be more inclined towards history, classics, and anthropology than biology, math, or other fields of science. That's not to say that I don't think I could succeed in those scientific fields, but rather that I have a more natural interest and talent in the former ones. At UK, I've slowly learned through lots of observation that what may come natural for one person (a talent in physics, for instance) may be extrememly difficult for others to grasp. I'm sure that if I switched schedules with a second-year Ag. Biotech major, I'd have an extremely rough time handling the classes. I also belive that they might also have a large degree of difficulty succeeding in my classes. Although I'm still only in pretty moderate history/classics courses in terms of difficulty, I would by no means call them easy. They are all pretty intensive in terms of writing, reading, and research. The ability to write well is a must in these courses if one wishes to receive an impressive final grade. Decent writing entails not only the use of solid vocabulary and good grammar, but often the inclusion of terminology relevant to particular studies. The ability to organize, analyze, critique, and paraphrase information and present it in a logical, coherent manner is also essential. I found out quickly that this is not simple. Anyway, while I'm sure I'd take a "C" in Organic Chemistry and feel pretty good about it, I'd like to watch a chemistry major write a 16-page paper on Greek and Roman religion using only primary sources and see how "easy" it is for him or her. I've basically concluded that any college student at UK who talks as if his or her major is "the one and only," and by far the most difficult (I run into those people quite too often, they're usually biolog...yeah) are obviously extremely narrow-minded and have been unexposed to the numerous challenges presented by other fields of study.
  3. Lazy people: I grow less and less tolerant of them every day; I guess this coincides with the increased effort I'm putting forth in college. While some degree of laziness is acceptable, I am absolutely amazed by how lazy some people allow themselves to be. Maybe I'm simply jealous because I could never let myself be that unproductive and still feel okay about it. Haha. I really admire individuals who are driven, motivated, and focused--single moms who essentially have two jobs, college students who perform well in the classroom while supporting themselves financially, etc., etc... I believe there's much to be said for these people, especially those who can take a really unfortunate cimcumstance (financial or otherwise) and not let it keep them from succeeding. But lazy people just annoy the piss out of me. If you're capable of doing something, do everyone a favor--get off your ass and do it.
  4. And a totally random thought--I think I'll find my future husband in graduate school. How do I know? I know exactly the type of guy I think (take note) I would want to marry, and I think he'll likely be hiding somewhere in my grad school--maybe in one of my classes? We'll be nerdy together. I'm an idiot.

Well, I think I've written enough tonight. Tomorrow will be an exciting day, as I will have to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of books and go "battle" the financial aid staff until they agree to fix something they screwed up. Fun.

No comments: